Monday, May 25, 2009

UI Design, Prototype Mock-up Version 2

This semester, I also took 6.831, a graduate class in User Interface Design and Implementation. The class was very interesting and taught us about how to more carefully design software so that it actually fits the user's needs instead of what we THINK the user needs. We worked on a semester-long group UI project, and focused heavily on task/user analysis, paper prototyping, user testing, and continued design/iteration. Below is a screenshot and you can view the wiki for my group project here.

Hence, the next step in coming up with a Moca viewer was to get feedback from actual users. So I went straight to the 2 doctors on our team. We met and I collected feedback on my design discussing things such as: What is the acutal process of diagnosing a patient from an image? What is involved in looking at radiology images? What is the difference between the clinician and radiologists' role? Their advice was great and I also got input from a software/usability standpoint from the Moca develoeprs. Below is the second iteration of my powerpoint mock-up of the media viewer for OpenMRS and Moca.



After this, I went back to the doctor on my team for more feedback and I was able to get rid of features that weren't as important and improve the simplicity of the interface. Another change was to collapse all the options across the top right corner of the viewer into an options menu that would also be scalable as I come up with more features that I want to include. The options menu also nicely handles the toggling on and off of the summary, annotations, and toolbar in the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment